Searching on the internet for justification and examples of other people's makes I found an amazing number of blog reports and youtube mentions.
The majority like the pattern they say:
- the design is retro 60's style but on trend now
- the pattern is adaptable - i.e. tunic/dress; boat neck/funnel neck; three sleeve lengths; colour blocking possibilities; pocket options
- the instructions are clear for beginners who have not sewn stretch fabric before
- it is very quick to make
- the instructions are in booklet form
- illustrations are in colour
- the printed pattern is on sturdy paper rather than tissue
- the pattern pocket has a gusset therefore it is easier to pack the pattern neatly away.
- the pattern is overpriced for such a simple design
- the arm cycle is misshaped/too small
- the sleeves are too wide
- the pattern would be improved by the addition of darts in the back piece
- Tilly's designs are suitable only for Tilly's height and figure type
- The popularity of the pattern is due to clever marketing - making use of :
*social media and "the blog parade"
*the wish not to be seen as critical of anything that is currently on-trend - i.e. the use of Indie patterns versus the once "big 4".
*fear of being critical at all in case there is a backlash of replies
As many people are enthusiastic I have bought the pattern. Yes I may have fallen for the marketing especially as I have not got Tilly's figure!
Now the decisions regarding fabric..........