Skip to main content

Izzy Tunics

I really like the Izzy Top free pattern from Teri on a blog she called "Climbing the Willow" here. I have learned a lot whilst making four of the tunics though it is a very easy pattern.

1
I learned: The importance of accurate printing. When I measured the 1 inch test square I could see that my printout was measuring slightly less but I carried on just adding a little extra to the width and length. The resulting tunic fitted a 6 month old rather than a two year old.  When I printed via Acrobat Reader from my laptop rather than my Tab the printout was exact.

2

I learned: It is best to find out the makeup of the material. I bought the fabric for my Izzy 2 from a remnant stack in Aberkan Mill, Flintshire. I thought it was cotton. I pre-washed  and dried but then parts of it hardened and shrank when I added iron on Vilene to the bodice.

Adding rick rack trimming can cause problems - I practised again and again making button holes and there was no problem. Each time I tried to make a button hole on the tab that I had added rickrack partly imbedded in the seam, the material stopped feeding. The result was a pile up of stitches that were hard to remove. I eventually hand sewed a buttonhole for this item.
 In future I will not add rickrack to a seam so near to a buttonhole and on an Izzy top I would start any rickrack under the arm of the bodice rather than centre back - the join is easier to hide.

3


I learned: I overestimated the size of the child who would be wearing tunic 3. It came together well and the child will grow. 
Regarding the colours  - sometimes what looks good on the roll is very bright in daylight! 

4

I learned: I should wait for accurate measurements of the child the item is intended for; find similar garments on Etsy or measure similar garments in a shop.

At least with practice things get quicker and easier to make.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vogue V9246 Pattern Review

Another Purse For Hair Accessories

Hairbands