Skip to main content

Lavender Bags

Fighting moths

We haven't seen moths flying out of wardrobes as some people describe on the internet. What we do have are small chewed holes in our best clothes. One cold day I put on a pair of new Christmas present, unworn,  cashmere gloves and they were like colanders! 

We have tried just about every product on Amazon, thrown out clothes that have been affected, frozen best gloves and scarves. Our moth visitors like only the natural best so my clothes purchases are becoming more and more polyester.

Alongside new lavender sprays, moth catchers and storage bags from Lakeland I am making lavender bags. If you get a strong smell of lavender you'll know this old lady is approaching. 

We have a lot of lavender in the garden. I have cut it whilst fresh and I'm trying a variety of ways of drying it.  

Stripped of leaves I have bundles hanging to slow dry in a dark shed. A googled guru says this is the best way to keep the colour and scent. Elastic bands would have been best for tying as the bundles will shrink as they dry. I'll see what happens with the twine I had handy. Another youtuber advises laying the lavender on wood to dry in the hot sun though it will lose some of its colour.




No fancy embroidered bags here. The need is urgent. I am using up my fabric scraps to contain the lavender.

  • Squares/rectangles of material.
  • Sew two same size pieces right sides together leaving about 1 1/2 inches free on one edge
  • Turn to right side.
  • Top stitch about 3/8 inch away from the edge on the three sewn sides that have not got the gap.

  • Pour some of the lavender flowers into the bag
  • Hand sew the gap together. I also added a ribbon loop so that the bag can be hung.
  • Top stitch  so that the top stitching around the bag is complete.

I have made lots and I hope moths hate them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vogue V9246 Pattern Review

Christmas Threader

Another Purse For Hair Accessories