Skip to main content

Sewing Leather

The stitches by the zip on our Hideskin holdall gave way soon after purchase. I wish I had taken it back to the shop but I convinced myself that it would be easy to restitch. Then I forgot about it till we needed it several months later.

I bought strong thread and a leather needle. It was tough to stitch but I thought I'd done a reasonable job till we took it on holiday again. No - the stitching did not last the journey .

Over a year later, when I have mislaid the thread and the needles, we visited the Leather Museum in Walsall. today There we met a guide who demonstrated how we needed to punch out the stitch holes then use two needles and strong thread. When I have tried out the method I'll update this post.

We had not visited the museum in order to ask about the bag. We had gone because we remembered it as the best place to visit in Walsall. The museum is free and fascinating. It details the history of manufacturing leather goods - particularly saddles in Walsall. Children are encouraged to feel the leathers, talk to the guides and there is the opportunity to make a keyring keepsake. 

Closed on Sundays and Mondays but free on other days of the week. If you are in the area it is a great place to spend an hour or two.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vogue V9246 Pattern Review

Christmas Threader

Making a Bag Sewing Diary